Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Wide World of Comics- (Wakfu, Persepolis)- Are they so different from America?

"How I spent my spring break? I worked on thesis, chilled with the family and of course read some comic books." Is that the stereotype report people give when asked about spring break in school? I don't remember, I may be thinking about summer vacation or something like that.

Anyway, the topic for today was the Wide World of Comics. Specifically from European artist. I've read a bunch of comics from European artist since I try to read all types of comics from different genres. I could list a lot comics that I've read but that could make this post go on and on and I would rather focus on one specific style and recommend the others later. The one comic that I focus on is from the series called Wakfu. It's basically from a French video game series that's a tactical MMORPG developed by Anakma Games. The series plays on a mythical world where there a twelve character classes that are based on the twelve gods that the world lives by. Why do I go into so much detail on this series? I wanted to get into the basic understanding of the world for people to understand the narrative of the comics. Even though the series was developed as a game, it became MORE successful as a television show and comic book series. what make this series comics different from the ones America have are that they tie into the narrative of the games and the TV show. It's narrative is either on the main characters in a different scenario or the origins of the side characters that are in the games and shows. One specifically that I really enjoy is called "The Black Raven". It tells the origin of Kabrok, a former warrior relapsing that his adventure days are over and trying to continue his life as a salesman. He's not only mostly known in the games, he even appears several times in the show. Now the talk about the comic itself. The colors and art style are colorful and cool. The themes of alcohol and sexual escapades are rather apparent even though the series is suppose to be for children. The series has been known to talk and illustrate things that most American comics feel is too controversial. It's something that a lot of French comic series seems to tell. They don't see those themes as something that is too inappropriate.

Another series that I read, or re-read since I've read about this series in high school is Persepolis. The story is more about a comic in a graphic narrative format that's in black and white. It tells the life of the writer, Marjane Strapi's life growing up during the islamic revolution. She get's into really specific  detail in the struggles in being an Iran woman living in a oppressed country where they weren't allowed to be free. The first book more so focuses on Iran and her childhood where she would sometimes see herself speaking to god (till the death of her uncle). The second one focus on her coming of age into America and how she adapts to living in a country full of freedom. You don't have to be a specific gender to connect with the story and understand her struggle. From my point to view, I loved how she wrote about her life since the point of view from woman in Iran is rare and I've never heard much from them in most medias, specifically in a graphic narrative format. Her issues with sticking to her free will and her faith in religion are things that most people go through or at least through similar situation. How her work differs from American comics is the narrative of a realistic problem that comes with realistic solutions and losses aren't shown that much. A narrative that is based on another country is also something more fascinating since different countries problems ins't that well know to others. What makes the books stand out from others tales about their life in different countries is that the way the characters are portrayed are of a cutesy styles with no humane details in their portrayal. While this cartoonish look would not usually work in many other tales, Marjane can still staple their issues with them and you can feel a similar emotion that many people in life have come to relate to. I've enjoyed re-reading it to understand what got me interested in this series before (though in high school I was forced to read in for class). I've even seen the movie twice and loved the humor shown. I would highly recommend it to anyone, it's not long and it's really enjoyable.

While many European comics may not be as popular, they are able to tell different struggles and issues that many Americans didn't go through but many can still relate to and understand their points of view.









No comments:

Post a Comment