Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Manga and the Japanese comics traditions- Osamu Tezuka's Buddha- The Power of a Cartoony Art Style

The Japanese Manga industry is a whole different genre than what I expected when growing up. Their use of black and white ink to create emotional pieces of art are what makes their work interesting and creative. 

Osamu Tezuka’s Buddha is no different from what I experienced. His use of simple character deigns helped connect me to relate with the characters while keeping it cartoony to get away with exaggerated movements. Still though, when I saw the cartoony look, I didn't expect some mature themes like death, alcohol or even religion (though it should have been obvious since the title is names Buddha). Tezuka's work has always interested me since my first time reading Astro Boy. While these elements that I stated are common in his work it was still surprising to still feel connected to the story even though it's kind of dated. Reading only his first volume (where Buddha is born) has left me wanting more to know what happens next to the characters and the story. While no set protagonist in the first volume, each of the other characters lives are intertwined with each other and they impact on what happens to characters later.


Another mange that most probably haven't heard of is called MAR (Marchen Awakens Romance). It starts a school kid named Ginta where he's transported to a fairy tale like world that use magical items to do battle with the antagonist the chess pieces. How it connects to Tezuka's work is that it's able to take a cartoony appearance while addressing mature themes in the narrative. The characters have over exaggerated expressions and act upon their reference like Jack and the Beanstalk or Wizard of Oz, and even Snow White. It impresses me that you can still depict artwork through black and white inking and still keep the reader focused on the story. Both pieces or work have a play on magic and supernatural occurrences as well has oppression based on social class. Don't get me wrong, there are still humorous moments in the story but it more so focuses on the pressing issues the world and setting that was at hand.

I hope later in the near future the world will continue to remember that Tezuka and others worked on in their earlier stages since it's a hole lot better than some stuff that is produced today. 






1 comment:

  1. The simplicity that hides deep meaning is possibly the reason why I value some Manga (and some classic feature length cartoons) so much. As a kid I was charmed by these friendly styles then trembled by the honest messages behind it. Children meant to learn and grow up and these works are simply a response to it.

    You brought up the point point about the effective use of black and white in Manga. In the past year I've learned a principal of ink painting that said 'if you can control black and white you have all the colors' and I agree with that. Colors are nice and all but I think the intuitive use of contrasts between black and white leave more room for audience to imagine. I think manga tradition also derived from that idea. You would probably be interest in the philosophy of 'Ma' meaning 'Void' that is essential to Japanese art. Simply put, the empty space works as nothingness full of potential for something to emerge from.

    ReplyDelete